Monday, June 13, 2011

Week 6 - MI


This week we learned about Multiple Intelligences (MI).

Gardner (1993) introduced the idea of MI (Gardner, 1993). In his book “Frames of Mind”, Gardner (1993) stated that we as humans have certain capabilities, or intelligences, that can be generally summed up into eight categories (Gardner, 1993). These are linguistic, logical-mathematical, spatial, bodily-kinesthetic, musical, interpersonal, intrapersonal and naturalist (Gardner, 1993). MI exist in all of us and most people possess some of each. Typically, individuals are stronger in one or two of these MI and they usually become the driving force behind their life choices.

The category that I fit into most is spatial. A person that has a high spatial intelligence is said to have a keen sensitivity to color, line, shape, form, and space and the relationships that exist between all of these elements. It includes the capacity to visualize, to graphically represent visual or spatial ideas, and to orient oneself appropriately in a spatial matrix (Armstrong, 2009).

I prefer to work with things that I can see. I prefer to learn based on video presentations, graphical representations, photographs, etc. My life choices have revolved around that. I had to have a High Definition Television (HDTV) when the prices became manageable. I love to use computers simply because they are capable of so many ways to display graphic images and videos. I love to play video games just to have my visual cortex stimulated by the vast array of colors and action. I also use AutoCAD (from AutoDesk) to design anything I need in three dimensions (3D). I used AutoCAD in a previous job and grew to love it.

As a side not, I recently decided to rebuild the stairway in my garage and I had to of course use
AutoCAD to design it and then draw up the plans for it. The 3D Image is below:






At any rate, this week was a well spent one learning about learning.

Thanks


References

Armstrong, T. (2009). Multiple intelligences in the classroom (3rd ed.). Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development

Gardner, H. (1993). Frame of mind: The theory of multiple intelligences - 10th anniversary edition. New York: Basic Books

No comments:

Post a Comment