Friday, June 24, 2011

Week 8 - Reflection

As this course comes to a close, I feel that I have gained some valuable knowledge about learning theories and how to apply them in future instructional designs.

To begin with, my past experience and college studies had taught me about the idea of learning styles. In these learning styles, it is believed that most people have a preferred method by which they learn best, be it visual, auditory, or tactile/kinesthetic (Conner, 2003). I was very surprised to discover that in the world of Instructional Design (ID), learning styles are not highly supported. First of all, there is very little research and empirical data to support that learning styles, when used in ID, are effective. Additionally, those students that do subscribe to the idea and believe they have a preferred learning style don’t always learn their best in that style. For example, a person who believes they are a visual learner and prefer to see graphics, charts, photos and drawings to learn at their best, often can learn as well or better when hearing, reading, or even via hands on activities. Additionally the fact that learning styles have been such a heated topic in the class discussion boards, as well as the Blogs that I participated in online, has really changed my point of view on the subject. At this point, though I do feel that I am a visual learner, I will no longer be running around proudly proclaiming that. Additionally, this class has made me see more clearly how my brain may actually work, and I have been given more food for thought on how else to consider how I learn.

For example, behaviorists suggests that people learn through stimuli and responses and suggests that we can only develop instruction based on behavior. The focus is on observable events and can be simply described as task based learning (Ormrod, Schunk, & Gredler, 2009). While I feel this is a good start, it is only the tip of the iceberg of the leaning process and the theories that attempt to define it.

Cognitive theorists tend to look beyond behavior and suggest brain based learning and the existence of human internal cognitive structuring of data and information is the way to go (Information Processing, n.d.). The memory system of the brain is believed to actively organize and processes information. Additionally cognitivists believe that previous knowledge plays a huge role in new learning. While this in conjunction with behaviorism helps me to see things differently, it still does not cover it all.


The constructivist, connectivists and social learning theories share the idea that learning is accomplished by social interaction. Constructivists also believe that prior knowledge combined with current context and the internalization of new information creates or constructs new understandings (Jenkins, 2006). Additionally, connectivists posit that learning is the accumulation of knowledge that exists in the world and not in the minds of humans, something not shared with constructivists. Connectivists suggests as well that pattern recognition and interpretation play an important role in learning and that learning is distributed among a network (Davis, Edmunds, & Kelly-Bateman, 2008). In the connectvist theory, the social network has many diverse connections and ties and is made possible via technology (Drexler & Drexler, n.d.) The theory that actually takes on the name of “social learning theory” itself states that reality, knowledge and learning are created by humans in a social setting and are based on close contact with other, by imitating superiors and role models and the understanding of concepts. (Kim, 2001)

I have not migrated over to any one camp, as I feel they all have a few things to add to the mix. Yet, I do find fault with some of them. I don’t believe that reality is created solely by humans as the social learning theory suggests. The physical world is what it is, and whether humans exist or not, it would still be here. Additionally, I don’t believe that knowledge exists in the world and that we as humans just need to capture it as the connectivism theory suggests. Knowledge to me is the accumulation of information and the use of thought and cognition to logically produce a memory. Yet these theories have deepened my understanding of learning and I have accepted that they can help me to see things other ways which can help me build diverse instruction.

However, it is the study of adult learning (andragogy) that has had the most influence on me. Since my goal is to instruct and train adults, I was more deeply interested in it. The connection between learning theories, learning styles, educational technology, and motivation has helped me to peek into the minds of most adults and pick out a few jewels. For example, adult learning is mainly the acquisition of knowledge, reflection and practice (Foley, 2004). Experiences from life, work, and previous learning are brought to bear when new learning is taken on. Some of the things that affect adult learning are cognitive abilities, time between learning and aging (Conlan, Grabowski & Smith, 2003).

The fact that I am aware of all of these theories now does give me a more informed approach to ID. I feel that this knowledge will allow me to speak intelligently with other ID professionals. I also have a basis for which to set a course of action when ID is needed for projects and base it on the content requirement and the student body.


References

Conlan, J., Grabowski, S., & Smith, K.. (2003). Adult Learning. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved June 19, 2011, from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/

Conner, M.L. (2004). Learn more now. Hoboken , NJ : Wiley & Sons.

Davis, C, Edmunds, E, & Kelly-Bateman, V. (2008). Connectivism. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved June 19, 2011, from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/

Drexler, W. (Designer). Drexler, A (Artwork). The networked student… in plain english. [Web]. Retrieved from http://www.teach42.com/2008/12/06/the-networked-student-in-plain-english/

Foley, G. (Ed.). (2004). Dimensions of adult learning: Adult education and training in a global era. McGraw-Hill Education.

Jenkins, Jack. "Constructivism." Encyclopedia of Educational Leadership and Administration. 2006. SAGE Publications. 23

Kim, B. (2001). Social Constructivism.. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved June 19, 2011, from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/

Ormrod, J., Schunk, D., & Gredler, M. (2009). Learning theories and instruction (Laureate custom edition). New York: Pearson.

Ormrod, J., (n.d). Information Processing and the Brain. Los Angeles: Laureate Education, Inc. Retrieved from http://sylvan.live.ecollege.com

1 comment:

  1. Nice reflection Clarence! You did a great job of summarizing what we've learned in this class. I too was surprised to discover that learning styles don't necessarily live up to the marketing hype that surrounds them. I appreciate your critical review of the various theories, that you don't just accept something at face value but analyze the merits and form your own opinion. I would be disappointed to take a class that didn't offer some surprises or shake up some preconceptions. I suppose we got our money's worth in this class. I hope to chat with you again in future classes. Best of luck in your studies and career.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete